(The Team = 8 Residents and 1 Assistant)
Cole was determined to play flag football this season despite knowing few who actually play football. He was able to talk all of his fellow Ortho residents into playing in the VCU flag football league. I think only Cole and two of the other 8 guys actually had ever played on a organized football team before. Honestly there really wasn't much hope for a winning season, but just to get out and have fun.
Well the first game came and watching them warm up I was even skepitcal that they could pull off a win, but they did. They were all very excited and surprised that they were actually able to win a game.
The games were at night this year so unfortunately the kids and I were only able to go to some of them which was very strange. I think this is the first time in 7 years of marriage and watching Cole play football that I haven't been able to go to every game. We would go to all the 8pm games which got us back home at 9:30pm (the kids usually go to bed at 7:30pm). The kids were always very good, finding ways to keep themselves entertained since they didn't have a million cousins to play with this year and they really loved going.
(These two spent the game jumping in puddles)
Week after week the Intruders kept on winning their games. Cole would walk in the door after a game and I would ask how it went. He'd give me this sly smile and say, "We actually won again." Really it was quite unbelievable. Cole said that the guys are smart and not one of them was a hot-head so they just did what they were told and clearly it worked.
Even more amazing is the fact that they WON the entire school football Championship!!! There was 3 leagues and they won it all. Keep in mind that our team was made up of a bunch of almost 30 year olds and most all of the other teams were probably 10 years younger. It was a great season and I couldn't be more excited for them!!
Congratulations Intruders!

3 comments:
Wow, Daisha I have to say commitment to your man has never been a weak point for you. It looks freezing, needless to say I am secretly glad Dan doesn't like me to watch athletic events (not that I would drive along cheering him on his bike rides anyway haha). We both call it good that I am there at the finish for big things like marathons (although I even missed him come in for the first one of those too! ;op) Glad Cole had a good time with some classmates.
Wow! Tell Cole congrats! It looks like fun...I always had a good time watching Ben play flag football, too, but I sure didn't go to every game! They were also at night...and Jaimason and nights past his bedtime don't mix!
Thanks for the blog. It's great to see the love for the game is still alive and well in Virginia. Tell Cole I'm proud.
Justin
Post a Comment