Thursday, February 14, 2008

And the water flowed . . .

We had an interesting weekend. Friday evening I went into the kitchen to find my sink filled with 4 inches of dirty water. I had seen this in the past and by turning the garbage disposal on everything easily slipped back down the drain. Not the case this time. When I turned on the disposal the water churned and went nowhere so I turned it off and the water splashed in my face.



I could now see the water rising so I grabbed the plunger hoping for success, but it didn't work! As I watched the water rise even more I called my dad to ask for a solution (I don't think my parents have ever hired a maintenance guy , my dad can fix EVERYTHING!) No time for advice because I was about to have a flood! I threw the phone and yelled "I'll call you back"! I grabbed a big bowl and began bailing water from the sink and dumping it into the bathtub (the water had all sorts of 'veggies' in it) After I emptied it enough I asked the neighbors to stop using their sink until we got the problem fixed. So I called our maintenace guy and he was here from 7-8pm and wasn't able to get the pipe cleared. So we called in a plumber who got here at 10pm and stayed until 11:15pm. (So much for our nice relaxing Friday night watching LOST) Cole headed off to bed - he'd been up at 4:30am everyday that week studying for mid-terms, so it was just the plumber and I. He was a funny little guy who mumbled to himself. After running the "snake" 50 feet twice the drain seemed to be "healthy" as he called it and he left.

Everything was fine Sat. and Sunday morning, but when we walked in the door after church on Sunday afternoon we were welcomed by a FLOOD!!! Our kitchen sink was filled to the top, the counter covered, the floor flooded and part of our carpet super wet! We dumped as much water in the toilet as we could, asked the neighbors to not use their sink, and mopped up the water best we could. (the only thing ruined was a full bag of chicken that I had thawing in the sink).

My boss didn't want to pay for a plumber to come on a Sunday so we didn't have the carpet taken care, or the drain fixed until Monday. We had a fan blowing under our carpet for 48 hrs, so we walked on air for a few days. Everything seems to be fine now (keeping my fingers crossed:)

It's times like these that I am grateful to still be renting because we didn't have to pay for anything and the bills were expensive!!

2 comments:

Em said...

Daisha,
I am so sorry, what a disaster! I guess its times like these that being an apartment manager stinnks. Your right its nice not to have to fork out the money yourself.

ERIN said...

we've had our share of issues this winter with water. All of our windows leak as well as our dryer vent. The snow melt has created wet mold problems. Apartment living.