
I have had several laundry mishaps in the last few months . . . a red crayon went through the dryer and left spots of crayon on more than half of a load, chapstick went through the dryer and left grease spots on several pairs of Cole's scrubs etc. . . The dryer had obviously really set these stains in. After searching the internet and referencing my "Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean" book I found the perfect remedy for removing the crayon and various grease marks on clothes.
I was skeptical because they all said to use W-D 40 and I worried that it would just make more marks on the clothes. However I leaarned that putting the grease on the grease reactivated it! The items were completly unwearable in their stained state so I figured I had nothing to lose in trying this out. I have saved about 30 items of clothes from the trash by doing the following:
Items you need:
W-D 40
Liquid dishsoap - DAWN or something like it
A few rags
Laundry detergent
Optional:
Borax
Vinegar
What to do:
First: Put a rag under the spot you want to treat. Spray the spot with W-D 40, scrub it in with another rag and then let sit for a minute. Turn the item over and spray the opposite side of the stain, scrub and let sit for 1 min. (This reactivates the stain)
Next: Squirt dishsoap on the spot you just treated with W-D 40 and scrub. Turn item over and do the same on the other side (this degreases it). Let this sit for a while (I've even let it sit overnight)
Last: Wash the items with 2 doses of laundry detergent in the washing machine (sometimes I've added a cup of vinegar and a generous amount of borax, which is recommended by some people). If the cycle is complete and the clothes still have suds just put them through a rinse cycle. Before you put them in the dryer check to see if the stains are gone - my crayon stained clothes took about 3 times of doing the whole process, but it was worth it!
This has saved me tons of money not having to replace clothes. I make no guarentees that it will always work, but it's been pretty good for me! Maybe you don't have laundry mishaps like me, but if you do it's worth a try.

5 comments:
I am going to try that!!! I have never heard of that, who would think a grease based item would get out grease!!???? I am always having chap stick go through my laundry, my daughter always has a collection of them, not sure where she gets them since I never buy them for her. But she often comes home from sleep overs with traded items and lip chap is probably one of them......Thanx for the tip.
What a great tip, I will have to try that! I didn't realize there was a solution for grease. Oh, the clothes I could have saved.
I hope you are feeling better. Only a couple more months until the move.
I can't wait to try it out. Okay, really I can wait, but inevitably I will need to try it out sooner than later. So what's the verdict on the little baby in the belly?
who woulda thunk! thats nuts. i'm gonna have to try it out next time. thanks for the tip!
Wow thanks! I'll have to save this idea in the back of my mind. I had no idea!!!! Crazy
Post a Comment