Thursday, July 9, 2009

Over 3000 Miles in 18 minutes

Our Journey from Oregon to Virginia:
Day One- June 18th:
We left at about 4 am from Salem, Oregon. The drive was relatively painless. The kids didn't have any unnecessary potty stops and Cole drove most of the way (he drives a little faster than I so he preferred that duty). We started in on listening to The Work and the Glory series while I kept the kids busy with movies, snacks, books etc. . . Macie was constantly asking how much longer so Cole gave her the simple answer of 18 minutes and for some strange reason she was content with that number although she can tell time and clearly knows what 18 minutes is- this was his answer every time she asked. We arrived in Ririe, Idaho to stay at my aunt and uncles house around 5:30pm that evening (a little off the beaten path, but we had an extra 2 days to play).

Day Two:

Aunt Mary spoiled us was good eats and pancakes for breakfast per Dominic's request. My kids loved being out in the country, playing in the yard, sandbox and with their kids. It's weird to think that I used to babysit their 5 kids quite a bit and even overnight when we were in Rexburg for under-grad - they've grown up so so much these past 8 years and are such a fun family.
In the afternoon we took the kids to the BYU-Idaho campus to show them where we went to college and to see for ourselves all the changes that have been made on campus. We also were able to visit with a few of Cole's past professors and drove past our little apt where we lived.
After, we went to Cole's brother's place and visited with his family and also Cole's sister and her boy. The kids got to play with their cousin Mylee too. It was such a treat to be able to see them all one last time before we moved away.

Day Three:
In the morning we got to go to the neighbor's little farm and see all their animals - sheep, goats and a bunch of others I don't remember. My kids absolutely loved it! I think Dominic would be in heaven living on a farm and Tessa kept running towards the goats saying "pet it".

Then we packed up and drove 20 minutes to Idaho Falls to visit my grandparents. It was so nice to see them, especially because we were going to be missing the BIG family reunion that was the following week. The kids enjoyed playing with their toys, sitting on the saddles in the basement playing horses and I even got to feed them grandma and grandpa's classic peanut butter and honey sandwiches - all things that I did when I was a kid.

Our next destination was SLC, only a 3.5hr drive which Dominic slept the whole way. We stayed the rest of the afternoon and evening with my fabulous cousin Steffani, her husband Nic and 3 little girls. I can't believe that we have all these little kids now! They fed us an awesome steak dinner and delicious oreo ice cream dessert, which we decided was Cole's Father's Day dinner since we'd be on the road all the next day. Oh, how we wish we could just be neighbors with Steff and Nic- we had a great time - thanks for your wonderful hospitality!!

I totally think Cole and Nic look like brothers in this picture!

Day Four:
We left again before the sun was up and drove 12 hours to Lincoln, Nebraska. This day was one of potty breaks on the side of the road, endless expanses of flat nothingness and cornfields. The kids did very well again with minimal fights, but plentiful messes. The car looked like a bomb had gone off once we reached our hotel that evening. Tessa didn't have the best angle for seeing the movies so I kept her busy with stickers that she would put all over her legs and feet. I would also look back and find her licking her nasty little toes and did I mention she is a non-stop talker and singer these days.
Dinner was a quick stop at McDonalds before settling in. Nebraska was our first taste of humidity and terrible mosquitoes. The kids loved staying in the hotel, a first for them! Getting them to sleep was much more of challenge - Cole took a walk while I read a book outside the room door.

Day Five:
Out the door for just an 11hr trip to Louisville to stay with our good friends Dave and Bri (who had just moved from Portland to do an Ortho Residency also). Cole woke up with a terrible migraine and stomach ache on this day. He was quite sick for most of the day, even having to make a very immediate stop at the side of the road to relieve his stomach. I felt so bad for him. The kids tried to be more quiet so he could sleep, but that's hard in such tight quarters. I drove most of the day which was totally fine. I didn't get as tired as I normally do driving. The GPS was an absolute life saver the whole trip, but even more so on this day was we drove through many major cities.
We arrived early evening to the Butler's gorgeous new home they are renting. My kids were so excited to play with their friends and we had such a fun time visiting. We actually had to say goodbye for real this time which was sad. Thanks again for the fabulous food, company, laughs, and soft bed to sleep in.

Day Six- June 23rd:
Our final destination - HOME- only 8 hrs away. We went through the last of our games and toys (bingo, pipe cleaners etc) and polished off the treats on this last leg of the trip. We stopped just over the VA border at the first rest stop. VA is beautiful and green just like everyone said it would be. It was fun to just take it all in knowing this will be the place we call home for the next 2 years.

The drive seemed short and we arrived about 2:30pm to sign our lease and get our keys. Our trailer had already arrived which was so nice. We took a quick look at our place (for the very first time) and then Cole started hauling the boxes in. The kids were proud to help carry in what they could and things went smoothly. It was very hot, but manageable. Cole had help with the furniture in the early evening.
I can't believe we made it all the way across the country in one piece. I thought the kids did an amazing job the whole trip and it was so nice to be at our new home!!

8 comments:

Em said...

Congrats! You did it! and the kids still had smiles on their faces! You are just that much closer to us now :)
How is life not managing? I am sure you are super busy unpacking and then you will have your new baby, but Hooray for you guys!!1

Janas Bananas said...

oh that made me exhauseted just reading about it!! Sounds like a long trip but a fun one. I love the picture of the shirtless kids..reminds me of the Bob and Dawn Johnson house..all the kids running around with no shirts all summer...lololol. I remember asking my mom if I could take off my shirt and she would say "no"..it was sooo un fair!! ;)

Well hope you are liking Virgina so far..looking forward to hearing all about it.

Jenn said...

Good job you guys!!! I don't think I could've done it! Our plan is for Parker to drive our stuff and tow our van to VA then we're all flying out later. But now you're making me re think it all. Hmm... Well post pics on your new place! I can't wait to see you guys out there!

Gwen Owens said...

WOW! What a week! I love all the details - that's so nice you were able to stay with so many people along the way (so cool you were able to stay with Bri and Dave!). Once again... you have such a beautiful family. Tessa is getting so old! I can't believe your pregnancy counter has only 41 days... CRAZY! I hope you are feeling well. Miss you!
Gwen

marissa said...

What a trip! I'm amazed you survived all that, but it sounds like it was a lot of fun, which is amazing! I can't wait to hear about all the fun you guys have out there. We really miss you guys though!

Trenholms said...

Wow, look at you! Already posting a blog about your trip across the country! It looks like you had a good time, and thank goodness the kids were good! Good luck out there. I can't wait to see all your adventures.
By the way, Renee and Channing are not in our ward, but very close! They would have been if it was about a year ago, before they split the ward. I hear they are awesome people and have a 4-year-old, so I'm hoping we'll become good friends. Heaven knows we need some right now!

Erica said...

Wow You guys are just amazing. I don't know if I would have done as well. It was so sad to not have you at the reunion but we can't wait for next time. mckenna missed having Maci to play with. Have fun getting settled. I can't wait to hear all about Vrigina

Acker Family said...

Way to go! It makes me exhausted just thinking about that trip! And especially being pregnant and sitting that whole time! Glad you made it safe and sound! And you are looking great!