Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thoughts on Being a Mom

I've always wanted to be a mom. It has never been a question for me. When I was a little girl I had a life size baby doll that I named Caitlin. She was pretty real to me. She was fed, diapered and clothed daily (and she smelled good too). I was babysitting by age 9 and so thrilled to make a dollar or two. I was the mothering type to my friends, possibly too much of an old soul (sorry Jenn, Mikaela, and Keri). It's just in me to be a mother and I can't deny it. I've never wanted to be or do anything else. I've just always wanted to be a mom and I have been blessed to be one.

Macie, 2 days old, June 2003

I'm not a perfect mother. I feed my kids chocolate chips at 8am so I can have peace and quiet, I yell and mutter loudly "you're driving me crazy," I bribe my kids with candy at the grocery store, I don't bathe my kids as often as I should and their teeth aren't perfectly brushed every day. I'm not consistent enough in my discipline, I let the kids watch cartoons for hours on the Saturday mornings when Cole is out of town so I can sleep in, they watch too many movies during the week and I don't spend enough one on one time with each kid as I probably should. And the list could go on and on.

April, 2008

But despite my failures I know my kids love me and even like me most of the time too. I love the days when I spend time doing activities with my kids like play dough, reading, and running around outside playing games together. I love the sweet kisses and cuddles they give me. I love to scratch Dominic's head and run my fingers through the girls hair and kiss and smell them even if they haven't bathed. I love their sweaty little bodies when they wake up from their naps and that they like me to hold them when they don't feel good. I love the funny little things my kids say and the way they make me laugh and smile. I love to cook and do projects with my kids and answer their silly and thought provoking questions.

Dominic, Feb 2007

I feel satisfied in my duties and accomplishments as a mom when I've read scriptures to my kids at the breakfast table, given them each a hug and a kiss and told them how much I love them, when I've really listened to what they are telling me and am giving them my undivided attention. I feel good about being a mother when I am doing the little things like getting someone a drink, helping with their potty chair, looking at every bug they've found that they are so excited about, singing songs, and wiping noses even though it might not be glamorous and I might not want to. It really feels like it's the little things that add up to making me feel whole and satisfied as a mother, but it's easy to forget those little things sometimes and get discouraged.

Tessa, April 2009

We all know that being a mom isn't easy. It's actually pretty hard. You hear that a mom's salary is in the $150's or something, yet it feels like it should be worth a million. Although we don't get paid I sure am counting on those blessings in heaven for trying my best, yet failing and then trying again each day to be a better mom.


Macie, Rexburg, ID, Jan 2005

I love being a mom so much that I try not to take offense at the comments bystanders make about our large family and can chuckle at the fact that the nurse at the health center spoke to me in hushed tones even though no one else was around and said that they had family planning materials and items if I needed them. I love my children and role as a mother so much that I laughed and said that I love having children and I didn't even make her feel bad by saying I also had a child in school at the moment and that I am planning to have 15* more kids! (*not really 15)


Finding out we're pregnant for the first time, Sept 2002

I love being a mother so much that we didn't wait to have kids to have "us time" and were blessed with a baby girl 10 months after we were married. I love being a mother so much that even after enduring the painful, emotional and heart wrenching loss of 3 of our children due to miscarriage we kept trying again to bring more of Heavenly Father's children into our family. I know that those children are waiting in heaven for us and that they are still ours to raise and love.


Claire, Dec 2009

I love being a mother so much that with each pregnancy I push aside the fear of another loss and endure horrible morning sickness, fatigue, and major changes to my body. But the aches and pains are so worth the prize of a newborn baby wrapped in my arms for me to feed, love, teach and care for. I see each one of my children as a special and unique blessing. Being a mother has taught me much about love, patience (mostly that I don't have as much as I thought I did), responsibility, humility, faith, hardwork, selflessness and the value of a good nights sleep.

July 2009

I feel that being a mother is the greatest calling, responsibilty, or job that I could ever have and I couldn't be happier that I get to experience all the joy that it brings.

Newborn Claire, Aug 2009

I am so grateful for a loving and wise husband who shares my same great desire to have a large family with lots of kids and enjoys the pitter patter of little feet in our home. Obviously I wouldn't be a mother if I didn't have him in my life and he truly helps me be a better mother. He lovingly encourages me and pushes me along even when I feel like it's too hard or that I'm not measuring up.

Our first baby Macie, June 2003

I'm grateful to my own mother who taught me the ways of mothering by her righteous example. She is truly the most selfless and loving mother I know and I love her for all she taught me.

The day before Claire was born, Aug 2009

To all of you, Happy Mothers Day! My gifts to you are the following quotes/ talks that I love about Motherhood:


Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. “Children are an heritage of the Lord” (Psalms 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations. (The Family: A Proclamation to the World)



There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else.

I am impressed by countless mothers who have learned how important it is to focus on the things that can only be done in a particular season of life. If a child lives with parents for 18 or 19 years, that span is only one-fourth of a parent’s life. And the most formative time of all, the early years in a child’s life, represents less than one-tenth of a parent’s normal life. It is crucial to focus on our children for the short time we have them with us and to seek, with the help of the Lord, to teach them all we can before they leave our homes. This eternally important work falls to mothers and fathers as equal partners. I am grateful that today many fathers are more involved in the lives of their children. But I believe that the instincts and the intense nurturing involvement of mothers with their children will always be a major key to their well-being. In the words of the proclamation on the family, “Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children” (“The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” Liahona, Oct. 2004, 49; Ensign, Nov. 1995, 102).

We need to remember that the full commitment of motherhood and of putting children first can be difficult. Through my own four-generation experience in our family, and through discussions with mothers of young children throughout the Church, I know something of a mother’s emotions that accompany her commitment to be at home with young children. There are moments of great joy and incredible fulfillment, but there are also moments of a sense of inadequacy, monotony, and frustration. Mothers may feel they receive little or no appreciation for the choice they have made. Sometimes even husbands seem to have no idea of the demands upon their wives.

Recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.
M. Russell Ballard, Daughters of God (Such a good talk! You should read it!)



As mothers, our work is not washing diapers and mending holes in jeans—that is what we spend much of our time doing, but it is not our work. Our work is rearing children; but it is much more than that, for we rear our children to fulfill their potential. We might have dreams of their success on earth, but we are being shortsighted. For them to be successful, they must inherit the celestial kingdom. The little people with whom we share our homes are more than gifts from God. They are gods in embryo themselves. Our work is to help them realize that awe-inspiring fact and then to live so that they will not fall short of their divine potential.

Motherhood is joyful. It is exciting, challenging, and fun; it demands all our best efforts. Motherhood is creation of children and of the homes to nurture them in. Motherhood is partnership with husbands and the Lord. May we all catch a glimmer of the splendor we can create in our own outposts of the kingdom of God. Petrea Kelly, The Joys of Motherhood


8 comments:

Justin said...

Daisha,
Your gift and love for motherhood has always been one of the things I admire about you. I have always appreciated your geniune love for motherhood and I still think of you when I am having one of those days. I think of your calmness and inate intuition you would have when we would be out back and one of our girls would act up.I still don't know how you are so patient and loving, but I appreicate that you are. You are an example to me and I wanted to thank you for that. Have a great mothers day!
Em

Jenn said...

Great post Daisha, thank you! You always have wanted to be a mom and BOY do I remember Caitlin! Haha I always thought she was a little creepy looking! But you were a great "mom" to her and you are a great mom to your precious four kids. I can't wait to get together again! I'll be visitorless mid June so let's plan something! =)

Kari said...

What a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on motherhood!

Tanya said...

loved this. thanks daisha.

* Stephanie said...

Hi Daisha,
You probably don't know who I am, but my husband Michael was one of Cole's mission companions and we met at a mission reunion once when we each had just one kid. (And, by the way, my little sister, Michelle Conde, was in your ward in Portland, I'm pretty sure). Anyways, Michael keeps up with your guys' blog and he told me to read your post because he thought we had a lot of the same kinds of feelings about our kids. I just wanted to let you know I enjoyed reading it.
Thanks and Happy Mother's Day,
Stephanie Bradshaw

Janas Bananas said...

That was soo sweet, Being a mom really is the funnest thing I have ever done and nothing is better to me then the sweet things my children say...Happy Mothers day to one of the cutest moms I know!

Erica said...

Oh you made me cry. Maybe it is getting those same looks and comments, or watching your kids while they sleep. I think you are a great mother and Think you are a great example. There is nothing better than being a mother.

The Campbell Clan said...

Loved your post Daisha. It is a pleasure to know you and I love watching/seeing pics with you and your children. They know they are loved and you give them your whole self. You are a supermom. Thanks for sharing your talents and your sentiments. I am still learning from you even across the country!
Happy Mothering!